Diploma of Financial Counselling Diploma of Financial Counselling

FCRC supports delivery of the nationally accredited Diploma of Financial Counselling.

About the Diploma

FCRC supports the delivery of the nationally accredited Diploma of Financial Counselling, which is the required qualification to practice as a financial counsellor in Australia.

The Diploma of Financial Counselling comprises 17 units of study. It is of one year duration if taken full time. It can also be competed part-time over two years.

A 220 hour structured work placement is a part of the course. Students will be assisted to locate placement opportunities.

Financial counselling is an intense job and the course is demanding, requiring at least 10 -12 hours per week of additional study outside the classroom.

Financial counselling is a unique blend of legal and advocacy work delivered within a counselling model of practice and a framework of social justice. The course includes areas of Australian Consumer Law, Credit Law, Social Security Law and a number of other legislative frameworks as well as learning counselling and individual and systemic advocacy skills.

About ICAN Learn

ICAN Learn, a new social enterprise Registered Training Organisation, is excited to be able to offer the Diploma of Financial Counselling to Victorian students interested in becoming financial counsellors.

ICAN Learn’s objective is to provide specific financial counselling industry focused education through blended learning opportunities.

The structure for the Diploma of Financial counselling comprises a combination of one week and weekend blocks of face to face training supported by weekly on line classes over a 12 month period. We will be using Victorian trainers for this program to ensure education relevance and to secure and support agency relationships and placement opportunities.

People who would like to be considered for this course are welcome to complete a course enquiry form by accessing, clicking on “Courses” and then “Diploma of Financial Counselling”. The course enquiry form is then visible. Timetables and other details will be provided when expressions of interest are received.

The diploma course will commence on October 23, 2017.

Multi-cultural Scholarship Program
In addition to the general intake, ICAN Learn are also offering a Multi-cultural Scholarship Program, to provide students from ethnic or multicultural, non-English speaking backgrounds who are interested in working with their communities as a financial counsellor, to undertake the Financial literacy skill set (CHCSS00077) and the diploma of financial counselling (CHC51115) as one course. Click here for more details.

The Multi Cultural Scholarship Diploma of Financial Counselling (MCSP) commences on October 23, 2017; If you think you may be eligible, you have until October 16 to complete an Expression of Interest form on the ICAN Learn website and clicking on Multi Cultural Scholarship program.

Both Courses will be delivered in classrooms based at CAE, 253 Flinders Lane, Melbourne

Recognition of Prior Learning

Potential students can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

The student needs to demonstrate competence in all elements of the relevant unit/s through collection of evidence. Several types of evidence are required for each element/unit; some types of evidence can support a number of units, e.g. resume, position descriptions, etc. RPL is a process managed by the Registered Training Organisation (RTO), and forms and details will be provided by the RTO of your choice.

Credit Transfer

Students with existing qualifications may already have completed equivalent units in another course. If this is the case, and the course codes are identical, a student may be eligible for a Credit Transfer (CT). There's no cost for CT. This process is managed by the RTO, and enquiries should be directed to the RTO of your choice.